Help needed testing automatic win64 configuration

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 19:45:17 PDT 2013

I just tried your '-3' version. It has problems.

1: VisualD installer still asks where you installed DMD; it should be able
to know this since it's being invoked by the DMD installer. I think that
should be fixed.
2: gcstub64.obj and phobos64.lib are still in D/dmd2/windows/lib. They
should be moved to lib64/
3: sc.ini contains: LIB="%@P%\..\lib64";"%@P%\..\lib"   <- why is '../lib/'
still present in [Environment64]? That should be removed, it can only lead
to erroneous attempts to link the OMF libs. Rather have a "can't find lib"
error, than a weird lib format error that most programmers won't understand.
4: It fails to find the Microsoft libs. Here is the relevant parts of my
sc.ini as installed by the installer:

LIB="%@P%\..\lib64";"%@P%\..\lib"

;;;; search path for C Runtime libraries
; the following lib path works with VS2008, VS2010, VS2012, VS2013
; prepending because 32-bit OMF versions can cause link.exe to fail
LIB="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\lib\amd64";%LIB%

;;;; search path for Platform libraries
; the following lib path works with Windows SDK 6.x and 7.x
LIB="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\lib\winv6.3\um\x64";%LIB%

; the following lib path works with Windows SDK 8.0 and 8.1
LIB="%WindowsSdkDir%Lib\win8\um\x64";%LIB%

I have VS2010 and VS2012 installed on a Win8 machine. I have libs in these
locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Lib\x64  <- this one
seems to be unknown to the installer. These libs should be used in
conjunction with VS2010.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\x64  <- the installer
refers to %WindowsSdkDir%, which is not present on my system. Use the
absolute path instead? These libs are to use used in conjunction with
VS2012.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\lib\amd64  <-
runtime libs, how to pick which version? Prompt during installation?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\lib\amd64  <-
runtime libs, how to pick which version? Prompt during installation?

I should note that I think VisualD needs to do some work here too. VisualD
should override the linker and lib paths, since it has more information.
Ie, how does cmdline DMD choose which linker/runtime libs to use? Perhaps a
prompt during installation? Choose the newest (appears to be the current
behaviour).
Whereas VisualD will be running inside of an instance of either VS2010 or
VS2012 (I use both, this is very common practise) on my machine, and it
should configure the linker and lib paths appropriately for the version of
VisualStudio currently in use when building, otherwise there will be link
troubles against C/C++ libraries also being built in the same solution
(yes, it's common to have C/C++ and D in the same solution).

For clarity, on my system, when using the VS2010 compiler, it should use
these lib paths:
  runtime libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\lib\amd64
  windows libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Lib\x64
   <- AFAIK, Microsoft SDKs is the old location, installed with VS2010 and
earlier.

When using the VS2012 compiler, it should use these paths:
  runtime libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
11.0\VC\lib\amd64
  windows libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\x64
 <- Windows Kits is the new location, by versions > VS2010 (AFAIK).

The default installation of DMD using your new installer fails to link on
my machine because %WindowsSdkDir% is not defined on my system, and since
the 32bit dmd lib path is still present, it tries to link the OMF libs, and
complains a lot.

Elsewhere in the file, you detect VS2010LINKCMD, VS2013LINKCMD, etc. Why
not also have a matching suite of VS2010LIBPATH="C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\lib\amd64" and friends, and refer to
them down the bottom as LIB=%VS2010LIBPATH%;%LIB%, along
with LINKCMD64=%VS2010LINKCMD%.
Ie, detect versions of VS present, produce a VS20##LINKCMD and
VS20##LIBPATH appropriately for each version in their little section, then
at the bottom, assign the actual variables used by DMD to the version
selected by the user when prompted during installation. The result of this
is that sc.ini will be very easy to read and understand, and if the user
later wants to switch to another VS version, it'll be obvious to change the
reference to the VS20## variables.

My primary VS environment is VS2010, which is going to be wrong if the
installer uses a 'prefer newest version' strategy.

Another question, why use LINKCMD64? Shouldn't it just be LINKCMD, since
it's under the [Environment64] block? You're not using LIB64, or any others
like that.