Help needed testing automatic win64 configuration

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Wed Oct 16 00:16:45 PDT 2013

On 16.10.2013 04:45, Manu wrote:
> I just tried your '-3' version. It has problems.
>
> 1: VisualD installer still asks where you installed DMD; it should be
> able to know this since it's being invoked by the DMD installer.. I
> think that should be fixed.

I have not yet updated the Visual D installer to pick up the setting.
Will do.

> 2: gcstub64.obj and phobos64.lib are still in D/dmd2/windows/lib. They
> should be moved to lib64/

We are trying to talk Walter into doing this but it seems there are
topics that fail to gain traction.

> 3: sc.ini contains: LIB="%@P%\...\lib64";"%@P%\..\lib"   <- why is
> '../lib/' still present in [Environment64]? That should be removed, it
> can only lead to erroneous attempts to link the OMF libs. Rather have a
> "can't find lib" error, than a weird lib format error that most
> programmers won't understand.

Sure, that should be done when the 64 bit files are moved to their own
folder.

> 4: It fails to find the Microsoft libs. Here is the relevant parts of my
> sc.ini as installed by the installer:
>
> LIB="%@P%\..\lib64";"%@P%\..\lib"
>
> ;;;; search path for C Runtime libraries
> ; the following lib path works with VS2008, VS2010, VS2012, VS2013
> ; prepending because 32-bit OMF versions can cause link.exe to fail
> LIB="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\lib\amd64";%LIB%
>
> ;;;; search path for Platform libraries
> ; the following lib path works with Windows SDK 6.x and 7.x
> LIB="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\lib\winv6.3\um\x64";%LIB%
>
> ; the following lib path works with Windows SDK 8.0 and 8.1
> LIB="%WindowsSdkDir%Lib\win8\um\x64";%LIB%
>

> I have VS2010 and VS2012 installed on a Win8 machine. I have libs in
> these locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Lib\x64  <- this one
> seems to be unknown to the installer. These libs should be used in
> conjunction with VS2010.
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\x64  <- the
> installer refers to %WindowsSdkDir%, which is not present on my system.
> Use the absolute path instead? These libs are to use used in conjunction
> with VS2012.
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\lib\amd64  <-
> runtime libs, how to pick which version? Prompt during installation?
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\lib\amd64  <-
> runtime libs, how to pick which version? Prompt during installation?
>
> I should note that I think VisualD needs to do some work here too.
> VisualD should override the linker and lib paths, since it has more
> information.
> Ie, how does cmdline DMD choose which linker/runtime libs to use?
> Perhaps a prompt during installation? Choose the newest (appears to be
> the current behaviour).
> Whereas VisualD will be running inside of an instance of either VS2010
> or VS2012 (I use both, this is very common practise) on my machine, and
> it should configure the linker and lib paths appropriately for the
> version of VisualStudio currently in use when building, otherwise there
> will be link troubles against C/C++ libraries also being built in the
> same solution (yes, it's common to have C/C++ and D in the same solution).

The installer tries to pick the latest version of both VS and SDK
installations. I see there is a problem when selecting a different C
runtime than what your C/C++ code is assuming. Is the Windows-SDK a
problem, too? The files used are just import libraries, so the latest
should be fine as long as you don't need linker errors when you build an
application to be run on XP but are calling Win8 only functions.

> For clarity, on my system, when using the VS2010 compiler, it should use
> these lib paths:
>    runtime libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 10.0\VC\lib\amd64
>    windows libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
> SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Lib\x64    <- AFAIK, Microsoft SDKs is the old
> location, installed with VS2010 and earlier.
>
> When using the VS2012 compiler, it should use these paths:
>    runtime libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 11.0\VC\lib\amd64
>    windows libs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\x64
>     <- Windows Kits is the new location, by versions > VS2010 (AFAIK).
>

> The default installation of DMD using your new installer fails to link
> on my machine because %WindowsSdkDir% is not defined on my system, and
> since the 32bit dmd lib path is still present, it tries to link the OMF
> libs, and complains a lot.

It seems the installer failed to replace two occurences of
%WindowsSdkDir%. WindowsSdkDir is set by batch files vsvars32.bat and
friends. I see conflicting goals here:

1. the installer expands variables WindowsSdkDir and VCINSTALLDIR in
sc.ini to work without running vsvars32.bat. It has to make decisions on
what versions to pick up.

2. when running dmd by Visual D you want to select settings according to
the current Visual Studio, which means it needs the unexpanded variables.

The current option to allow both is to not run the linker through dmd,
but invoke it "manually".

> Elsewhere in the file, you detect VS2010LINKCMD, VS2013LINKCMD, etc. Why
> not also have a matching suite of VS2010LIBPATH="C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\lib\amd64" and friends, and refer
> to them down the bottom as LIB=%VS2010LIBPATH%;%LIB%, along
> with LINKCMD64=%VS2010LINKCMD%.
> Ie, detect versions of VS present, produce a VS20##LINKCMD and
> VS20##LIBPATH appropriately for each version in their little section,
> then at the bottom, assign the actual variables used by DMD to the
> version selected by the user when prompted during installation. The
> result of this is that sc.ini will be very easy to read and understand,
> and if the user later wants to switch to another VS version, it'll be
> obvious to change the reference to the VS20## variables.
>
> My primary VS environment is VS2010, which is going to be wrong if the
> installer uses a 'prefer newest version' strategy.

> Another question, why use LINKCMD64? Shouldn't it just be LINKCMD, since
> it's under the [Environment64] block? You're not using LIB64, or any
> others like that.

There is a already pull request to change this:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/2667