Debugging support for D - wiki

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 05:33:10 PDT 2013

On 23/09/2013 20:50, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> I'm looking to begin adding integrated debugger support for the DDT IDE
> pretty soon. With this in mind it would be desirable to have a view of
> what level of D language debugger support is there for the various
> combinations of platform+compiler+debugger.
>
> This information would be quite beneficial to regular D users as well,
> as Manu's recent thread on the importance of a debugger is any
> indication of. Yet there doesn't seem to be any info about this in the
> wiki. The debuggers wiki page ( http://wiki.dlang.org/Debuggers )
> doesn't even list the main players in this scene (VisualD/Mago, GDB,
> WinDebugger?)
>

> I might get started with this, but I would need to enlist the help of
> other people for the other platforms/debuggers I don't have proper acess
> to.
>
> The only combinations I tried so far was DMD+Windows+GDB, which seems
> like it's not supported at all. And GDC+Windows32+GDB which does seem to
> be well supported (GDB understands D name mangling, breakpoints in
> source, D data structures layout, etc.). I'm guessing GDC+GDB on Linux
> works just as well. (what about Mac though?)
>
> Several questions remain:
> Is debugger support with DMD+Linux+GDB as good as it is with GDC?
> For DMD+Windows, is there only good debugger support with VisualD? :-(
> And how well does that work with 32/64 bit platform variations?
>
> It would be great to have these answered, and going forward, keeping
> track of this info in the wiki.

I've updated the Debuggers wiki page with the info gathered so far:
http://wiki.dlang.org/Debuggers
(I've also added Mono-D and Eclipse CDT to the list of frontends)

Feel free to add/modify the information in that page. In particular, a
few key missing points:
* Is the level of support for DMD-Linux as good as GDC?
* What is the level of support for LDC/LLVM? (haven't tried it yet at all)
* How complete is the debugging info for DMD-Win64? Is it fully
implemented, and/or are there any issues or limitations? (Rainer you are
likely the best to answer this one)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer