Early review of std.logger

qznc qznc at web.de
Thu Oct 17 00:34:27 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 17 October 2013 at 02:13:12 UTC, Eric Anderton wrote:
> The strength of this is that it would allow us to freely
> integrate D libraries that use std.logger, yet filter their log
> output from *outside* the library through the std.logger API.

This is one of the most important aspects in my opinion.
Std.logger should be easy to use, so library writers are
encouraged to use it. Compare this with the "unittest" keyword,
which makes it easy to write some simple tests. Of course,
flexibility to use complex machinery for using the messages/tests
is necessary. Just like we can hook up more advanced unit testing
frameworks, we should be able to hook up more advanced logging
machinery. The advanced stuff is not for Phobos though. Advanced
stuff for unittests is for example, parallel execution and
graphical reports. Advanced stuff for logging is for example log
rotation and networking.