draft proposal for ref counting in D

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Thu Oct 17 10:52:10 PDT 2013

Am 17.10.2013 19:47, schrieb Sean Kelly:
> On Thursday, 17 October 2013 at 17:28:17 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>> Am 17.10.2013 19:16, schrieb David Nadlinger:
>>
>> But reading the part about the shadow stack really lowers my
>> expectations. Thats really something you don't want. The performance
>> impact is so going to be so big, that it doesn't make sense to use the
>> better GC in the first place.
>
> There's always a tradeoff.  If an app is very delay-sensitive, then
> making the app run slower in general might be worthwhile if the delay
> could be eliminated.

Well I just read it again, and it appears to me that the shadow stack is
something they already have implemented and it can be used for "gc
prototyping" but if you want you can write your own code generator
plugin and generate your own stack maps. It actually sounds more
feasable to implement a generational GC with LLVM then with what we have
in dmd.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut