Safe mode in D?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:31:37 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 17 October 2013 at 23:18:21 UTC, DDD wrote:
> I tried this code and the compiler allowed it (runtime I get
> object.Error: Access Violation). What am I doing wrong?

D doesn't consider null pointer deference to be unsafe, since its
behavior is predictable (the hardware will catch it and kill the
program). This btw is arguably wrong, since dereferencing a large
null object can potentially overwrite other stuff, but it is how
it is right now.

@safe prohibits casting ints to pointers, doing pointer
arithmetic, and other similar things that can create hard to find
bugs and other undefined behavior.