More on C++ stack arrays

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 22:44:15 PDT 2013

20.10.2013 18:25, bearophile пишет:
> More discussions about variable-sized stack-allocated arrays in C++, it
> seems there is no yet a consensus:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3810.pdf
>
> I'd like variable-sized stack-allocated arrays in D.

I'd say the most common case one need a stack-allocated array is a
temporary allocation which isn't going to survive end of scope. Even
more in such cases for too large for stack data one want to allocate
from thread local heap instead of shared one to prevent needless
locking. `unstd.memory.allocation.tempAlloc` [1] will do the job. As the
one of the most common subcases is a temporary C string creation
`unstd.c.string.tempCString` will help here.

[1]
http://denis-sh.bitbucket.org/unstandard/unstd.memory.allocation.html#tempAlloc
[2] http://denis-sh.bitbucket.org/unstandard/unstd.c.string.html#tempCString

--