Empty VS null array?

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Mon Oct 21 03:43:25 PDT 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:55:46 +0100, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 10/18/13 9:26 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
>> *That's* bad API design. readln should be symmetrical to writeln, not
>> write. And about preserving the exact representation of new lines,
>> readln/writeln shouldn't preserve that, pure and simple.
>
> Fair point. I just gave one possible alternative out of many. Thing is,
> relying on client code to distinguish subtleties between empty and null
> strings is fraught with dangers.

My code does not need to distinguish between empty and null.  null is
checked for, and empty is just a normal value for a string.  The "problem"
you're referring to is /casused/ by conflating null and empty, by making
empty strings "special" in the same way someone might make 0 a special
value for an int (meaning not specified - for example).

If you stop using empty string as a special case of null, then empty does
not need special handling - it's just a normal string value handled like
any other - you can read it, write it, append it, etc etc etc.

null is the /only/ case which needs special handling - just like any other
reference type.