ARM bare-metal programming in D

Mike none at none.com
Mon Oct 21 16:43:44 PDT 2013

Hello,

This is my first post here, but I've been warching D for the past
year and a half.

I currently build small bare-metal (no OS) ARM Cortex-M1/4
embedded system.  These targets typically have less than 1MB of
program memory, less than 512KB of embedded RAM, and run at less
than 200MHz.  I currently use C, C++, and assembly, but would
very much like to add D to this mix, hopefully removing the Cs
completely.

Language Questions:
1. Is D or WiLL D be a suitable language for these targets?
2. Is the D runtime required for bare metal programming? In other
words, if the D runtime has not yet been ported to these targets,
how far can one get using just D the language?

Compiler Questions:
1. What is the status of LDC & GDC for these bare-metal targets?
Is DMD even in this game?
2. If not ARM Cortex, can any of the D compilers target Intel's
Quark processor?

Finally, if D is not yet ready for these targets, but would like
to be, what work remains to be done to get it there.

Looking forward to your thoughtful answers.

Mike