[dox] What should we do with dsource?

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 05:56:52 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 23 October 2013 at 05:21:19 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> My thinking of what this should entail:
>
> 1) take over the dsource.org domain and point it to a new server
> 2) the new site should provide free forums just as the current
> one does, but nothing more.
> 3) existing projects still using the forums at the current site
> should be migrated.
> 4) existing projects still actively maintaining a subversion
> repository at the current site should be encouraged to move to
> another scc hosting solution of their choice (github,
> bitbucket, whatever).
> 5) the new site should maintain a searchable registry of all
> known open source D projects (just a link and a blurb),
> regardless of whether or not the project uses the forum.

Good medium/long-term plan.  For the moment, let's see about
cleaning up what we've already got, but I like a lot of this.

> In other words, a complete overhaul. Of course, the few people
> still using dsource would need to agree to this. Even if they
> don't, I think this sort of site should exist. It would be a
> centralized location for all D projects. I would much prefer it
> to be under the dsource.org domain, since then all of the dead
> projects there will eventually fall off of the search engines.

This is good, with the caveat that we should avoid
inconveniencing the people already there within reason. So in
that direction, I'd advocate for Cool URIs [0]-- as few page
addresses should change as possible. (Some things are more sacred
than others.  Hosted project landing pages are very important,
but the stuff in the robots.txt is much less likely to be
externally linked.)

Per a suggestion above, I think it'd be fine to link them from an
"archive" or "mothballed" page or something (for things that are
no longer active).  Of course,

> I'd be willing to pay for a basic Linode instance, or pitch-in
> for a more expensive one.

Appreciated, but hold that thought for now; it may be unnecessary.

> I'd also be willing to donate a few hours a week to maintenance
> in whatever capacity I could.

This, on the other hand, will probably be very welcome.

-Wyatt

[0] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html