[OT] Faulty Java update for OS X (10.8)?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Oct 24 14:39:37 PDT 2013

I installed the latest Java update for Mac last Tuesday (7u45).
When I shut down the Mac, I noticed that it took ages (several
minutes), then today (didn't use it on Wednesday) it wouldn't
boot. All it showed me was a white screen. I tried all the
recommended remedies, but nothing would help. I finally restored
it from a Time Machine backup that was pre Java 7u45. Now the Mac
works again.

I wonder if it was the Java update or something else. I
downloaded it from
http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en.

My system is 10.8.4