std.allocator ready for some abuse

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Oct 24 14:44:42 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 24 October 2013 at 19:53:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I know it's been a long wait. Hopefully it was worth it. The
> alpha release of untyped allocators is ready for tire-kicking
> and a test drive.

Very, very nice!

One question that immediately jumps out for me:

As a primitive, will deallocateAll always call the parent's
deallocate/deallocateAll?

Sometimes it's useful to tell a top-level allocator to forget it
allocated anything, but not actually free memory, so that it can
be reused - similarly to Appender's clear method. There doesn't
seem to be an easy way to do it with Freelist, as it will always
forward to the parent's deallocate or deallocateAll. Perhaps
there could be a "clear" primitive too?

Spied two typos:
- s/AllocatorWithOptions/AllocatorWithStats/
- s/an the call/the call/