Empty VS null array?

Shammah Chancellor S at S.com
Fri Oct 25 14:05:04 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-25 11:41:36 +0000, Kagamin said:

> Oracle makes no distinction between null and empty string. For a reason?
> A database is an implementation detail of a data storage, it doesn't
> implement business logic, it only provides features, which can be used
> with more or less success to implement business logic. Ever heard of
> advantages of OO databases over relational ones? That's an illustration
> of technical details, which don't precisely map to business logic.

That's poor friggin design, and it's for a bad reason.  Oracle is not
the example you want to be following.    Sql Server does *NOT* follow
their example for GOOD reason.   My middle name is not null, it is
NOTHING.   There are lots of places where Oracle made bad design
decisions and they cannot escape them due to requiring backwards
compatibility.