std.allocator ready for some abuse

Namespace rswhite4 at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 26 09:33:54 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 at 16:01:18 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 25/10/13 20:41, Namespace wrote:
>> Did you mean to get rid of built-in arrays / kill int[] and
>> replace it with
>> Array!T?
>
> Array!T is problematic as things stand -- e.g. you can't
> foreach over one.  So, forgetting syntax preferences, there
> needs to be some work on containers before they can "just work"
> like the builtins.
>
> If it's possible, I'd rather see the converse -- that code that
> assumes the GC will "just work" with other allocation
> strategies, so one can use the builtins without worrying.  But
> am I being naively hopeful in seeking that? :-)

I would never vote to replace the built-in arrays with something
ugly as Array!T.
If D would switch to Array!T and Map!(T, U) it would be the same
hell as with C++. But I hope allocators enable the possibility
that built-in arrays could use other memory mangaement besides
the GC. That would be awesome.