std.allocator ready for some abuse

Lars T. Kyllingstad public at kyllingen.net
Mon Oct 28 00:28:25 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 24 October 2013 at 19:53:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I know it's been a long wait. Hopefully it was worth it. The
> alpha release of untyped allocators is ready for tire-kicking
> and a test drive.

About time! ;)  But it was definitely worth waiting for.  I don't
have that much experience with using custom allocators, but
API-wise, this looks great.  Not overburdened, but not
underpowered either.

I would suggest a different name for goodAllocSize(), though.
Maybe actualAllocSize() or just allocSize().

This may be a stupid question, but is expand() useful outside the
allocator infrastructure itself?  Would you ever use that instead
of reallocate() in a container, for instance?

Lars