Heads up, g++ in Xcode 5 points to Clang

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Oct 29 00:14:49 PDT 2013

On 28/10/13 20:02, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> I don't see it that way.  Up until now at least I haven't seen
> anything they do that wasn't already do-able in GCC.

I confess I may be biased here because recently I've been finding that D code
compiled with LDC seems to typically run faster than stuff compiled with GDC --
particularly code which makes any kind of serious use of stuff from
std.algorithm or any other strongly generic parts of the language.

I can't imagine there are any fundamental frontend glue-code differences that
are responsible for that, so I was assuming LLVM had a few areas where its
optimizations worked better than the GCC middle/backend for various language
constructs.

I did test just now making sure that I used GDC with -march=native just in case
that was the issue, but there's still a performance gap.  The only other guess I
have -- and it's a complete guess -- could it be inline-assembly related, that
LDC gains a little here?