Help needed testing automatic win64 configuration

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Tue Oct 29 13:36:17 PDT 2013

On Monday, 28 October 2013 at 19:14:17 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 20.10.2013 05:51, Brad Anderson wrote:
>> Fifth and hopefully final version. Not much changed. I put
>> this together
>> so it represented the final iteration of my changes that will
>> be going
>> into pull requests.
>>
>> I stopped it from downloading a modified dmd2beta.zip (because
>> of the
>> licensing issue I'd forgotten about) and just download the
>> original and
>> move phobos64.lib and gcstub64.obj to lib64 in the installer.
>> DMD now
>> supports (as of 2.064 beta 2) LINKCMD in Environment64 so I no
>> longer
>> need dmd changes.
>>
>> http://gnuk.net/dmd-2.064-beta-new-sc.ini-5.exe
>>
>> People using Visual Studio Express 2010 and Windows SDK 7.0A:
>> Sorry,
>> couldn't think of a good solution for that combo.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who helped me test.
>>
>> Relevant pull requests:
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/2684
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1652
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/pull/22
>> (putting
>> some finishing touches on this in a moment then calling it
>> good)
>

> I finally got around to making a version of Visual D that
> should work for x64 out of the box with both the zip
> distribution and the new D windows installer. Unfortunately it
> has to override the settings made by the installer to sc.ini.

As in, make change to sc.ini itself?  If so, what kind of changes?

> I have prepared a release candidate here:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/visuald/releases

I'll try it out when I get a free moment.

> 3 tiny nitpicks regarding the D installer:
> - it does not remember the directory of a previous installation

Good idea. This is easy enough to do.

> - it is listed in the "Program and Features" as a mere "D"
> without any further info. That could be a bit more verbose.

The creation of the installer predates my interest in D so I
never know whether things like that were intentional or not.
"DMD - Digital Mars D Language Compiler" maybe?

> - it would be nice if it could also provide a download of the
> 64-bit curl library

Another thing I'm trying to find some free time to do.  The
32-bit version could use some updating to a more recent version
of curl as well. If someone else with more free time wants to do
this all I did to make it originally was run implib over a curl
dll to make the OMF import library and put it in a zip file with
a directory structure that matches dmd's zip so that when the
installer unzips it everything just falls into place. For 64-bit
I'd just add the 64-bit curl libraries to the new fangled lib64.

> The link to the Visual D installer will probably get invalid
> pretty soon, so maybe we should add some "LATEST" file
> somewhere in the repository to grab the link to the latest
> release?

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to handle that situation. A web server
redirect would be the easiest to do normally but D's webserver
situation is difficult to work with since you have to ask someone
to make the changes and nobody but Walter, Andrei, and Jan really
know what the webserver setup is like.

We could also just update the installer periodically. There is no
reason it needs to be tied to DMD's release cycle.