Everyone who writes safety critical software should read this

qznc qznc at web.de
Tue Oct 29 14:22:10 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 29 October 2013 at 20:38:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> I know that everyone is tired of hearing my airframe design
> stories, but it's obvious to me that few engineers understand
> the principles of failsafe design. This article makes that
> abundantly clear - and the consequences of paying no attention
> to it.
>
> You can add in Fukishima and Deepwater Horizon as more costly
> examples of ignorance of basic failsafe design principles.
>
> Yeah, I feel strongly about this.

Maybe you should write an article about "Failsafe Design
Principles"? Some quick googleing did not turn up anything
useful. Only horror stories and anti-examples.

The only thing I found is a Star Wars reference [0], which gives
the principle "Base access decisions on permission rather than
exclusion".

[0]
http://emergentchaos.com/archives/2005/11/friday-star-wars-principle-of-fail-safe-defaults.html