Everyone who writes safety critical software should read this

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Oct 30 03:01:01 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 at 03:24:54 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> Take a look at the reddit thread on this:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1pgyaa/toyotas_killer_firmware_bad_design_and_its/
>
> Do a search for "failsafe". Sigh.

One of the comments under the original article you posted says

"Poorly designed firmware caused unintended operation, lack of
driver training made it fatal."

So it's the driver's fault, who couldn't possibly know what was
going on in that car-gone-mad? To put the blame on the driver is
cynicism of the worst kind.

Unfortunately, that's a common (and dangerous) attitude I've come
across among programmers and engineers. The user has to adapt to
anything they fail to implement or didn't think of. However,
machines have to adapt to humans not the other way around
(realizing this was part of Apple's success in UI design, Ubuntu
is very good now too).

I warmly recommend the book "Architect or Bee":

http://www.amazon.com/Architect-Bee-Human-Technology-Relationship/dp/0896081311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383127030&sr=8-1&keywords=architect+or+bee