BigInt -- a challenge for std.allocator

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Oct 30 10:11:37 PDT 2013

> Reference counting comes somewhere on top of allocators. (For a long time I
> thought they should be fused; now I think they can be neatly separated.)
> Allocators know how to manage void[] and that's about it.

Ahh, OK.  That makes more sense.  It rather baffled me to hear people saying,
"This has nothing to do with an allocator."

My impression is that std.typecons.RefCounted has some issues, and that we might
expect better reference counting solutions to be built on top of std.allocator
-- otherwise I'd just have used the existing RefCounted.