Everyone who writes safety critical software should read this

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Oct 30 11:35:27 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-30 at 11:12 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
[…]
> Much effort in cockpit design goes into trying to figure out what the pilot
> would do "intuitively" and ensuring that that is the right thing to do.

I've no experience with cockpit design, but I am aware of all the HCI
work that went into air traffic control in the 1980s and 1990s,
especially realizing the safety protocols which are socio-political
systems as much as computer realized things. This sort of safety work is
as much about the context and the human actors as much as the computer
and software.

> Of course, we try to do that with programming language design, too, with varying
> degrees of success.
[…]

Has any programming language ever had psychology of programming folk
involved from the outset rather than after the fact as a "patch up"
activity?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk