Everyone who writes safety critical software should read this

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Oct 30 14:18:15 PDT 2013

On 10/30/2013 11:01 AM, Chris wrote:
> "Poorly designed firmware caused unintended operation, lack of driver
>  training made it fatal."
> So it's the driver's fault, who couldn't possibly know what was going on
> in that car-gone-mad? To put the blame on the driver is cynicism of the worst kind.
> Unfortunately, that's a common (and dangerous) attitude I've come across
> among programmers and engineers.

There are also misguided end users who believe there cannot be any other
way (and sometimes even believe that the big players in the industry are
infallible, and hence the user is to blame for any failure).

> The user has to adapt to anything they
> fail to implement or didn't think of. However, machines have to adapt to
> humans not the other way around (realizing this was part of Apple's
> success in UI design,

AFAIK Apple designs are not meant to be adapted. It seems to be mostly
marketing.

> Ubuntu is very good now too).

The distribution is not really indicative of the UI/window manager
you'll end up using, so what do you mean?