Everyone who writes safety critical software should read this

growler growlercab at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 15:31:44 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 at 19:25:45 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:14:50PM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> [...]
> For automated testing to be practical, of course, requires that
> the
> system be designed to be tested in that way in the first place
> -- which
> unfortunately very few programmers have been trained to do.
> "Whaddya
> mean, make my code modular and independently testable? I've a
> deadline
> by 12am tonight, and I don't have time for that! Just hardcode
> the data
> into the global variables and get the product out the door
> before the
> midnight bell strikes; who cares if this thing is testable, as
> long as
> the customer thinks it looks like it works!"
>
> Sigh.

Agree 100%.

I read a book way back in the late 1990's, "Rapid Development" by
Steve McConnell I think it was called. I remember it was a great
read and filled with case studies where development best
practices are dissolved by poor management. This Toyota story
reads very much like the examples in that book.