Everyone who writes safety critical software should read this

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Oct 30 21:24:28 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 19:14:50 Walter Bright wrote:

> 3. Beating out of engineers the hubris that "this part I designed will never
> fail!" Jeepers, how often I've heard that.

It makes me think of a manager where I work who was happy that one of the
projects had no bugs reported on it by the testers, whereas we thought that it
was horrible. We _knew_ that there were bugs (there's no way that they're
weren't), but they weren't being reported. So, we thought that the lack of bug
reports was a horrible sign, whereas he thought that it meant that the product
was in good shape.

Going to the extreme of assuming that something that you wrote won't fail is
even worse. I don't trust even the stuff that I tested to death to be bug-free,
and that's not even taking into account the possibility of the assumptions
that it's using falling apart for some reason (e.g. the underlying system
calls ceasing to function properly for some reason) or hardware failures
(which will happen eventually). No program will run forever or perfectly
(especially one of any real complexity), and no hardware will never die.
That's a given, and it's sad to see a trained engineer thinking otherwise.

- Jonathan M Davis