Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Sep 1 00:42:37 PDT 2013

On 8/31/2013 7:05 PM, Manu wrote:
> The only compiler you can realistically use productively in windows is
> DMD-Win64, and that doesn't work out of the box.
> We needed to mess with sc.ini for quite some time to get the stars aligned such
> that it would actually compile and find the linker+libs.
>
> Walter: DMD needs to internally detect installations of various versions of
> VisualStudio, and either 'just work', or amend sc.ini on its own. Or the
> installer needs to amend sc.ini. Either way, leaving it to a user to fiddle with
> an ini file just isn't acceptable. We had to google solutions to this problem,
> and even then, we had trouble with the paths we added to sc.ini; are spaces
> acceptable? Do they have quites around them?...
> I might also suggest that Microsoft supplied (ie, 'standard'), libraries should
> be automatically detected and path entries added in there too:
>    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\...
>    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\...
> These are on basically every windows developers machine, and each of us had to
> configure them ourselves.

The default sc.ini contains:
-----------------------------
[Version]
version=7.51 Build 020

[Environment]
LIB="%@P%\..\lib";\dm\lib
DFLAGS="-I%@P%\..\..\src\phobos" "-I%@P%\..\..\src\druntime\import"
LINKCMD=%@P%\link.exe
LINKCMD64=%VCINSTALLDIR%bin\amd64\link.exe
VCINSTALLDIR=%VCINSTALLDIR%
WindowsSdkDir=%WindowsSdkDir%

When I installed VC 2010, it set the environment variables VCINSTALLDIR and
WindowsSdkDir. Then, the default sc.ini should "just work".

What went wrong, specifically?