Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 06:18:44 PDT 2013

On 9/1/13, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> ** If you want to link against any other libraries.

Only if you want to do it statically, but you don't need to mess with
COFF for DLLs, most of these libs you've listed can build either
statically or as a DLL.

On 9/1/13, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of who? The D devs? You all reject auto-complete and debuggers?
> How do you get any work done?

Well, we do get things done:

http://www.ohloh.net/p/dmd/commits/summary
http://www.ohloh.net/p/libphobos/commits/summary

On 9/1/13, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>    - Deprecate DMD makefiles. Seriously! Insist that contributors use the
>>> IDE bindings to work on DMD.
>>
>> Not gonna happen.
>>

> Reconsider.

How is deprecating makefiles easier than making whatever IDE that
you're using just call a 'make' command when you click a button? Even
VS comes with nmake and friends.

On 9/1/13, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Slowing us down won't help anyone.
>
> I'd argue that it would; inflicting the pain of trying to be a productive D
> user on the developers will certainly highlight the importance of the
> issue.

It would only make people leave the community, just like Tomasz
Stachowiak (h3r3tic) left, and now I've learned Michel Fortin is also
not using D anymore.

Anyway it's not like we're not aware of the issues, these things are
brought up in the newsgroups every other day. But the only way to fix
the situation is: file bugs, contribute with pull requests.

On 9/1/13, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm really don't like bugzilla as an end-user, but I'm not performing
> searching actions.
> As a reporter, I find it's needless friction between me and reporting bugs,
> and I consequently report perhaps half as many bugs as I would otherwise,

See I don't understand this. You want everyone to work on the things
you're most interested in (IDEs), but you can't bother reporting bugs.

> Are you saying I should have told everyone to set up their machines before
> coming?

Well look, you've obviously used D in a 64bit environment (so you've
had to set this up yourself at least once), so I don't understand how
you've managed to lose 6 hours on it. :)