Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 07:15:55 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 03:40:44 UTC, Michel Fortin wrote:
> On 2013-09-01 02:05:39 +0000, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> said:
>
> I'm not using D anymore. I realized that with the time required
> to maintain the toolset (including installer and Xcode plugin)
> plus the time it'd take to make the language suitable to my
> needs (Objective-C integration, perhaps ARM support for iOS),
> all that by itself would probably be more than one full-time
> job. As all this meta-work would seriously get in the way of my
> actual work, I let it go. I'm not regretting that move.
>
> So I'm no longer using D, but I'm still hanging around here
> from time to time because there's always something interesting
> to read.

That's a pity, but I can understand: actually I'm relaying in
calling Objective-C runtime functionality directly, having
wrapped the *very-minimum* Cocoa things that I need for our
projects...

But the reality is that it's simply not feasible to use D for OSX
applications apart from sticking with the posix/bsd face of the
system, so one of the big three OS is out.

I would also add that actually I'm not able to debug on OSX, and
that's simply something that it's a show stopper for my
colleague: the best results are coming from lldb, with decent
stack trace and, alas I can also set breakpoints, but I'm not
able to print any local at all.

In all the tree platform, at least the debugger, as set of patch,
as documentation in the main site (not in the wiki!), as support
in the backend, should be the priority number one, in my opinion.

- Paolo Invernizzi