Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sun Sep 1 11:52:09 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 16:37:19 UTC, Manu wrote:
> I'm amazed at the resistance to this (a few no's, any yes's at
> all?). Do
> people here actually write D code, or rather, non-trivial D
> code? O_o
> Perhaps the dev's here use relatively few, or very simple
> classes?
> Seriously, how do you quickly read and understand the API
> through the noise?
> I really can't get my head around it... Why wouldn't you want
> to be able to
> read a convenient summary of what a class is and does?
> And why would you want to indent every line of function code by
> a few tabs?
>
> Can anyone offer me ANY benefits? It legitimately blows my
> mind... O_O

Imho, the benefits of the "inline" model are clarity (the code is
always at the declaration) and convenience (no need to adapt both
declaration and definition on signature changes).

For a quick overview of a given class, just use your editor's
code folding feature – you don't even need a fancy IDE with code
outline support for that, the good old editors do just as well
with a small of D syntax definitions present (and so do the newer
ones in their tradition like Sublime Text).

I agree that good IDE support is essential for the success of D –
if it maybe does not matter for all users, it certainly does for
a sizable proportion of them. But this isn't even a matter of IDE
quality, but just of not being stubborn/stupid about the way you
use the tools you already have…

David