Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Sep 1 12:20:12 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-01 16:32, Manu wrote:

> Well we never got OSX working (under mono-d), although this was mainly
> due to supporting apple infrastructure in the end. I think we wrangled
> the toolchain in the end, but never got everything linking; C++
> dependencies got complicated.
> We eventually gave up, just wasting too much time, and he went off and
> did the music/sounds for the game...

Gave up? Why not just use DMD directly from the zip on the command line
and use TextMate or Sublime. TextMate 2 supports in app download of new
languages and Sublime comes with support for D out of the box. Even
though it's not perfect it has to be better than giving up.

> If you'd like to help me finish that OSX work we started together last
> year, that'd be really great for next time! :)

Well, I'm quite busy with my own projects. But I could perhaps give you
a hand if you need. Although I don't want to do all the work as last time.

> No, actually, as much as I keep banging on the IDE thing, in this case I
> absolutely don't want help from the IDE, I just want to look at my page
> of text, and be able to read a useful summary.
> Can you give me any good reasons why fully defined functions polluting
> the readability of a class definition could possibly be a good thing?
> I just don't get it... why would you ever want to break up the nice
> summary of what a class has&does, and why would you want to indent all
> of your functions an extra few tab levels by default?

To keep everything in one place. Why would you want to duplicate the
method signatures? I hate the header/source synchronization in the C
family of languages. Especially in C++ where the signatures cannot even
be exactly the same between the header and source file. I'm thinking of
default values, for example.

> As a programmer, I spend a lot more time reading code than
> documentation, and much of that time is spent reading it in foreign
> places like github commit logs (limited horizontal space), diff/merge
> windows (hard to distinguish class API changes vs function body changes
> at a glance, since they're interleaved), even chat clients and
> communication tools. The IDE can't assist in any of these contexts. If
> you have to have an IDE to read your code, then something is really wrong.

That I agree with.

--
/Jacob Carlborg