Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Sun Sep 1 17:07:23 PDT 2013

=============== INTERRUPT ================

Can we, please, just for a moment leave details aside?

Dear Walter Bright

There are currently 3 threads addressing more or less the same
issue: user experience.

You have, no doubt, created a wonderful, great and promising
language. That's why we're here.

Yet we have heard from users who left. Not because D isn't good
enough - actually it's so good that some at stay loosely
connected and read and write here - but because in order to be
useful and to grow and spread all over the universe, the power,
the beauty and the elegance of a language must be found in
practically interaction, too. In other words: user experience.

It seems in that context there are mainly 3 points coming up:

- IDE
- Docs
- Debugging

And I'd like to add a 4th: C library bindings.

Obviously neither you nor any 3 or 5 of us can possibly make
*every*one happy. Equally obviously, making too many not happy
leads to potential D users leaving the language.

Shouldn't we find some reasonable common grounds? Shouldn't we at
least discuss and create a rough ToDo route with some priorities?

There are, for instance, tools out there that allow to create
various common formats for documentation, incl. HTML and .chm.
Shouldn't we make an effort to identify and agree (or, if
necessary, a dictum by you and/or Andrei) on some cross platform
tool for documentation so as to be able to create all needed
formats from one set of docs?

Thanks for D and - please - let us do the next step now. Let us
not debate over Eclipse vs. Vim but agree that at least 1 cross
platform IDE must be supported along with at least 1 cross
platform Editor. Let us not only address language issues and
problems with a narrow view but let us at the same time keep our
mind open for the larger picture.

And let us agree that a not yet perfect language along with well
useable and realiably working tools is worth at least as much as
an ever more refined language with lousy, alpha, broken old, or
simply not reasonably useable tools.
The same goes for the tools. Let us have 1 set of cross platform
tools, even primitive ones but realiable and reliably working
ones rather than striving to have a variety tools for each and
every OS and whim addressing every minute detail coming up.

Let's build a base - and then conquer the world.