Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Sep 1 17:14:01 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:26:20PM +1000, Manu wrote:
> On 1 September 2013 18:00, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
> > On 8/31/2013 9:36 PM, Manu wrote:
> >
> >> I'm really don't like bugzilla as an end-user, but I'm not
> >> performing searching actions.  As a reporter, I find it's needless
> >> friction between me and reporting bugs, and I consequently report
> >> perhaps half as many bugs as I would otherwise, because I need to
> >> open a slow website, and login with yet another account...
> >>

> > Bugzilla sets a cookie on your machine so you don't have to
> > repeatedly log in. I log in once every few months when something
> > happens to my browser that deleted the cookies.
> >
> > If you have cookies disabled, of course you'll have to log in every
> > time.  But that's the same with github, too.
> >

> I don't have cookies disabled, but it doesn't seem to work for me... I
> have to login every few minutes.  It auto-logs-me-out every few
> minutes... if I leave it open in the background while I'm working so I
> can easily reach for it, I find it asks me to log in again basically
> every time.

Strange, I haven't had to login to the D bugzilla for months now. I did
have to login a few times to get the cookie onto different browser
installations I have (and after browser upgrades), but besides that, I'm
just on all the time.

[...]
> I don't want my topic to get lost in this though, the first few items
> in my weekend report are the big tickets as I see it; installation,
> IDE, and debugging.

Well, I'm not an IDE person, so I have nothing to say on that front.

But I will say that debugging can and must be improved. Currently, about
the only thing usable for dmd -g is to get a stacktrace of a program
crash. Nothing else seems to be properly supported (I use gdb). Stepping
through statements and setting breakpoints more-or-less works, but I
can't get at most variables (keeps complains about being unable to
reference 'this' or something similar), sometimes variable values are
outright wrong or completely unrelated to the actual value, sometimes
variables shown right on the source line being debugged don't exist in
the debugger ('no such symbol'). Unable to look into nested structs
without hitting odd behaviour. Doesn't understand D naming conventions
(or does so poorly).

Basically, I've given up trying to use gdb on D programs except when I
need to find out where a crash is happening. Using writeln debugging is
far more productive, sadly to say. I can imagine this state of affairs
is quite disappointing to many potential D adopters.

Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop them from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn