Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Sep 1 17:46:15 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 12:40:00PM +0200, Dicebot wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 02:05:51 UTC, Manu wrote:
> >></endrant>
>
> Thought number one after reading "This is why I absolutely hate
> programming for Windows!" :)

+1. :)

> Was pretty happy with vim, grep, gdb and makefiles on Linux. Anyway,
> key problem (as far as I can see) here is that few of D developers
> have both experience and personal interest in any IDE/Windows focus as
> well as related tool stack. D has some nice flavor of anarchy - both
> like it and consider it a problem.

The thing is, we keep hearing complaints about how D IDE integration is
bad, etc., but it seems like not many people are willing to do something
about it. What we need is somebody who is (1) dedicated to D, (2)
dedicated to making IDE integration for D work nicely, (3) produce lots
of code to make it work.

Forcing people to change the way to work on D just so you can have IDE
integration probably won't have much of an effect. For instance, I
wouldn't touch an IDE with a 10-foot pole. Will I still contribute to D?
Sure. Will I do something about IDE integration because everyone
complains about it? Unlikely. Will I be glad if somebody steps up and
say, here's what I've been doing to make D IDE integration better? I'd
fully support it. The question is whether there is such a somebody. :)

First Rule of History: History doesn't repeat itself -- historians merely repeat each other.