Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Sun Sep 1 18:41:49 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 21:08:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

>>> This can be automated easily enough.  The installer can detect
>>> what versions of VS are installed and either set an
>>> environment
>>> variable or modify sc.ini (your choice).  It could probably be
>>> made forward compatible since Microsoft has been using
>>> basically
>>> the same paths and registry keys for every new release since
>>> at
>>> least VS 2005.
>>
>> Yes, and VS comes out what, maybe once a year? This is
>> possible to
>> implement and maintain. If it weren't, then installing VS
>> plugins
>> would be impossible, but as far as I know it mostly works out
>> of the
>> box (hell, VisualD does it, so why can't we do something as
>> simple as
>> detect VS paths?)
>>

> Pull requests are, of course, welcome.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/pull/22

It can detect (through registry keys) the paths of Visual C++ 10,
11, and 12 (2010, 2012, and 2013) and Windows SDK 7.0A, 7.1A,
8.0, and 8.1.  It modifies the sc.ini installed from the zip file
by substituting the defaults with the detected paths (which makes
it important I have accurately reflected what the sc.ini defaults
will be).

I only have VC 10 to test with myself (and lack the disk space to
have concurrent installations of all 3).  I installed the Windows
SDK 7.0A (comes with VC 10), 8.0, and 8.1 though I couldn't
actually use 8.0 and 8.1 successfully because of the path tail
issue Dmitry pointed out (and you opened a pull request to fix).

The combination of VC 10 and SDK 8.1 did not work (link errors)
but VC 10 with 7.0A worked perfectly.  I imagine you need to pair
the SDK with the version of VC that was released around the same
time.