Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 19:54:54 PDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 03:38, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/2013 6:19 AM, Manu wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, I found details on the net that recommended adding an
>> [Environment64]
>> section, which we did.
>>
>> I don't seem to have VCINSTALLDIR or WindowsSdkDir variables on my system
>> :/ ..
>> that said, VC obviously works on my machine.
>>

> Sorry if I am being repetitive here, but what environment variables is VS
> setting on your machine?

I don't have any that look meaningful, other than the TOOLS ones in my
prior reply.

 It also seems potentially problematic that a variable would define a single
>> install directory, since it's pretty common that programmers have multiple
>> versions of VS on their machines.
>> I have VS2010 and VS2012 on my machine. Simon had VS2012 and VS2013.
>>

> Yes, so what environment variables should sc.ini use to determine which
> one the user wants to use for dmd?

I think it should search through program files on installation. User might
have non-standard installation path name.
But I also think the paths should be supplied by Visual-D when running
inside VisualStudio, since it's running within the version of VS that you
actually want to use, so it can set the appropriate paths for that version
(I've raised this with Rainer).

 I was also thinking it might be a mistake to keep phobos64.lib in the same
>> folder as the 32bit omf libs. If paths are wrong, the link errors will
>> only be
>> understood by a programmer who understands compilers and lib/object
>> formats in
>> depth.
>> Perhaps you should put them in a parallel lib64 directory, and hook that
>> up in
>> [Environment64] (I did that on my machine while trying to isolate
>> problems and
>> wort out where paths were coming from)?
>>

> Please, I need specifics.

Put phobos64.lib and friends in lib64/, beside lib/

 I reckon you should look into hooking up DirectX SDK patahing by default
>> too
>> since it's so common for basically any multimedia app.
>>

> I have no idea what you mean by this?

DirectX, Microsoft's multimedia API?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812
It installs bunches of libs in their own directory, I think you should
include them in sc.ini by default.

DirectX does appear to have an environment variable on my machine:
  DXSDK_DIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\

So if you map: %DXSDK_DIR%Lib\x64 that will make the libs available.