Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 20:28:42 PDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 04:33, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/2013 9:37 AM, Manu wrote:
>
>> I'm amazed at the resistance to this (a few no's, any yes's at all?).
>>

> Andrei and I talked about this a while back, and we both think it is a
> good idea. But there always seem to be more important things, and it's
> notable that lack of this does not seem to have slowed down C# or Java.

Both of which have VERY mature dev tools and environments, which mitigate
the problem a little bit.
It also doesn't mean that I like it when using those languages, I just know
that I can't possibly influence it's change.

There are a few distinctions to D though that I think add weight to the
situation compared to C#/Java:
D probably appeals more to ex-C++ users (I'm not aware of any sensis, but
D's main offering at least to me, is an evolution from C++). We are used to
being able to gather a quick summary of a class at a glance.
D (or perhaps just me) makes extensive use of local functions. If the outer
function is at the leftmost tab level, it's easy to recognise if you're
reading the code from a local function or not. If the outer function is
already a few tab levels deep, I frequently find myself becoming unsure of
what/where I'm actually reading.