End user experience with D

Peter Williams pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 1 21:53:18 PDT 2013

On 02/09/13 14:12, Ramon wrote:
> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 04:00:37 UTC, Peter Williams wrote:
>>
>> IMHO, the IDE should only be a wrapper around the core functionality
>> and never be so closely integrated that the core is unusable without
>> the IDE.  Personally, I just like using a configurable editor (e.g.
>> Geany, emacs and so on) which knows (or can be taught) how to do
>> various useful things that an IDE might offer.
>>
>> If you want an IDE then create one but make it an "add on" and don't
>> expect everyone to use it.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Peter
>> PS I especially hate IDEs that try to force me to create "projects".
>> PPS I especially like IDEs that have built in terminal editors so that
>> you can do command line stuff without the need for a separate window.
>
> I perfectly agree. An IDE should be optional - but it should
> exist.

OK, but why are you putting the onus on Walter to create it.  He's
looking after the core technology and probably has enough to do already.
  Surely someone (such as you) who wants an IDE should be the person to
create it.

> And btw: With IDE I don't necessarily mean a fully blown Eclipse
> like thing. A smart developer oriented editor (like Geany) with a
> reasonable interface to a *working* debugger is good enough.

I agree there.  I tried to use Eclipse way back when it first came out
and it was already to complicated (and too Java centric) for my taste.
If I recall correctly it was also one of those that insisted on
"projects" and all source files in its own directory tree.

Peter
PS I too like GUIs for doing some things and if there isn't one
available (that suits my way of working) I knock one up myself using a
PyGTK wrapper around the command line interface (e.g. gquilt and gwsmhg
for quilt and Mercurial respectively) and when it's working I make it
public just in case it scratches someone else's itch.