Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Sep 2 05:51:17 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 03:51:54 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 2 September 2013 05:20, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>> Gave up? Why not just use DMD directly from the zip on the
>> command line
>> and use TextMate or Sublime. TextMate 2 supports in app
>> download of new
>> languages and Sublime comes with support for D out of the box.
>> Even though
>> it's not perfect it has to be better than giving up.
>>

> I dunno. People just don't do that.
> It's perceived that typing commands in the command line is a
> completely
> unrealistic workflow for most people that doesn't love linux.

It is more of a cultural issue than real tool stack issue. Yes, I
am perfectly aware that Microsoft has succeeded in creating
incredibly closed and tool-oriented programming environment and
also succeeded to create lot of programmers that accept it as the
only possible way to do things. I am perfectly aware that game
dev industry is completely Microsoft-centric and is forced to
accept such rules of the game.

But do you seriously expect anyone with no personal business
interest to work on brining more of such crap into something that
is not broken? You would have had my sympathy but demand "Let's
force everyone to use IDE" is just insane. All this thread would
have made some sense if some enterprise D entity has existed but
it simply does not work that way right now. And, to be honest, I
am glad about it.