Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 06:25:53 PDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 18:25, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2013-09-02 05:51, Manu wrote:
>
>  I dunno. People just don't do that.
>> It's perceived that typing commands in the command line is a completely
>> unrealistic workflow for most people that doesn't love linux.
>> He would have also had to have written himself a makefile, and none of
>> us know how to write a makefile. I generate makefiles with other tools,
>> but there are no good makegen tools that support D and C projects
>> together, and even if there were, you'd just be writing a makegen script
>> instead, which we still didn't know how to write...
>> We also really didn't have time to stuff around with it. He just went
>> and recorded audio instead.
>>

> I would have used a shell script but I get your point.
>

>  Fair enough. Well I don't have a Mac, and I don't know Cocoa, or ObjC...
>> :/
>>

> Hehe. You do already support iOS, how was that added?

Some time back when I did have a Mac, and I lifted the boot code from a
sample app, and then the rest of the code just fell into place because it's
super system-agnostic.

 Good IDE's have awesome refactor tools, where you change a signature,
>> and it will change it at all places that it is referenced.
>>

> Then your back to need of an IDE to use the language.

Yeah, except this seems like a more sensible application of an IDE helper
to me, and it's not required by any means for the language to be useful.
Since the code can be read in any number of locations, and expecting the
IDE to assist you with making the code readable makes no sense.
Rather, move the 'burden' to the authoring stage, and the IDE can equally
help there, but the advantage is readability anywhere without IDE support.