Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Sep 2 06:36:00 PDT 2013

On 02/09/13 14:51, Dicebot wrote:
> But do you seriously expect anyone with no personal business interest to work on
> brining more of such crap into something that is not broken? You would have had
> my sympathy but demand "Let's force everyone to use IDE" is just insane. All
> this thread would have made some sense if some enterprise D entity has existed
> but it simply does not work that way right now. And, to be honest, I am glad
> about it.

Personally I find, observing a number of different open source projects, that a
very typical problem is a kind of "selection bias" among contributors that leads
them to significantly under-appreciate the usability problems of their software.

It goes something like this: anyone who has spent any length of time using that
software (which of course includes most contributors) either had a workflow and
toolchain that the software matched with, or they have been able to adapt their
workflow and toolchain to enable them to use the software.  Usually they have
managed to find ways of coping and working around any other usability issues
that arise.  And that situation then compounds itself over time because new
users come and either adapt in the same way that existing contributors have, or
they leave.

So, you wind up with a body of contributors who often have much in common in
terms of their setup, their perception of the priorities, and in their ability
to handle the software.  And that in turn can be very dangerous, because you get
people who simply don't understand (or have any way to experience) problems that
are brought to them by new users or by others.

And of course there are always greater problems than usability, so those
problems are the ones that get focused on, with the developers all the while
bemoaning the lack of manpower and wondering why it is so difficult to attract
and hold on to contributors.

The only way that I can see to avoid that trap is to have a strong focus on
usability as part of your development process, to make sure that developers have
good connections with a diverse range of potential users and their experiences,
and (where possible) for developers to dedicate part of their time to actually
trying to undergo that experience themselves.

The TL;DR of what I'm saying here is: while it's certainly crazy to force D
contributors to use IDEs, there's a great deal of value in making sure that a
good number of contributors regularly get IDE experience, and regularly try out
"fresh start" installs of D in IDE and non-IDE environments, because that way
you have a sense of how easy or painful it is for new users to get things
installed and just get hacking.