Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 06:46:21 PDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 21:37, Jos van Uden <usenet at fwend.com> wrote:

> On 1-9-2013 20:00, bearophile wrote:
>
>> Manu:
>>
>>  Seriously, how do you quickly read and understand the API through the
>>> noise?
>>>

>> The noise increases if you have to repeat the class name for each method
>> :-)
>>

> +1

Really? You both think seeing the function signature a second time at the
definition is 'noisy' when compared to massive blocks of arbitrarily
indented function body code consuming the entire class definition, and
completely breaking up your code window?
A few function bodies and you can't see anything anymore. You have to
scroll miles to get an overview of the class, and try and remember each
function header along the way as you scroll by; you can never digest it
cleanly in one place.
My memory's not that good... So you end up scrolling up and down and up and
down and up and down, and then inevitably, get off your arse, walk over,
and interrupt the guy that wrote it.
That's a waste of my time, it's a waste of their time, and in an office
environment, it's a waste of money.

So, I find it extremely useful being able to see the members and functions
available listed in a row all together. I can quickly gather a fairly
complete mental picture.
Everyone on the weekend agreed with me, none of us could immediately
understand the classes we were working with. Productivity being the key
element in our exercise, and it demonstrably impacted our productivity.
But whatever. I just threw it in there because it was a recurring topic,
and I thought it was worth mentioning.