End user experience with D

Ludovit Lucenic llucenic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 06:49:07 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 13:33:29 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 07:52:09 UTC, Ludovit Lucenic
> wrote:
>> You don't mean it, do you ? :-D
>
> I don't use a debugger too often, I actually prefer to do
> asserts (and then, when possible, leave them there after the
> debugging is finished) and printf stuff.
>
> But when I do use gdb, I don't have big problems with it. For
> me at least, the stack trace works with file and line numbers,
> disassembly and register dumping works, breakpoints work,
> getting variable contents usually (but not always) works.
>
> So I just generally find it good enough.
>
>> I wish we could say the same for them running on Windows...
>
> Aye.

Adam, I totally agree with you except for the point on "getting
variable contents usually (but not always) works". In my case
this point barely worked. Maybe I did something wrong or used
older version of GDB (which I don't think was the case). Anyway,
to comfortably browse the variables'/parameters'/globals' in
memory while debugging I had to start working on something like
Gdb.D for Mono-D (mentioned earlier). GDB alone was not giving me
even the least help in this memory examination. I mean, write a
code where you have classes, interfaces, you passed variables
like this to functions and put a breakpoint in such a function. I
always got 0x0012F64E and such values out of GDB...

Ludovit