Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 06:59:33 PDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 22:51, Dicebot <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:

> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 03:51:54 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> On 2 September 2013 05:20, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Gave up? Why not just use DMD directly from the zip on the command line
>>> and use TextMate or Sublime. TextMate 2 supports in app download of new
>>> languages and Sublime comes with support for D out of the box. Even
>>> though
>>> it's not perfect it has to be better than giving up.
>>>

>> I dunno. People just don't do that.
>> It's perceived that typing commands in the command line is a completely
>> unrealistic workflow for most people that doesn't love linux.
>>

> It is more of a cultural issue than real tool stack issue. Yes, I am
> perfectly aware that Microsoft has succeeded in creating incredibly closed
> and tool-oriented programming environment and also succeeded to create lot
> of programmers that accept it as the only possible way to do things. I am
> perfectly aware that game dev industry is completely Microsoft-centric and
> is forced to accept such rules of the game.
>
> But do you seriously expect anyone with no personal business interest to
> work on brining more of such crap into something that is not broken? You
> would have had my sympathy but demand "Let's force everyone to use IDE" is
> just insane. All this thread would have made some sense if some enterprise
> D entity has existed but it simply does not work that way right now. And,
> to be honest, I am glad about it.

Okay, I clearly made my claim too strongly, but I still think it would be
valuable for basically everyone to try it out every now and then, and
understand the experience on offer.
Sure, each to their own thing... I just wanted to stress that a higher
consideration to the end-user experience wouldn't go astray.