d from the outside

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Mon Sep 2 10:01:48 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 13:40:25 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 23:47:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>
>> The key is probably getting some popular apps built in D,
>> where the developers rave about how D helped them get their
>> work done better and faster.  I am not aware of such design
>> wins for D yet, but I hope and believe they will be there
>> someday.
>
> Here is one app:
>
> http://shebang.at/boxen
Cool project, but alpha software that likely hasn't been
downloaded much isn't what I had in mind for "popular."

I meant something like Azureus/Vuze or Limewire for Java, which,
even though Java for consumer desktop apps has failed miserably,
were downloaded in the millions.  Of course, it didn't hurt that
both were free and enabled piracy. ;) Perhaps that's a bad
example, given the failure of Java on the consumer desktop. :)

Take popular games, like Doom, for C++ or a web framework, like
ruby on rails, for ruby that make people look into the respective
programming languages, because of the popularity of those
projects.

D hasn't had a killer app yet, as good as the language is, that
will be an inflection point for the language's adoption.