Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Sep 2 10:29:18 PDT 2013

On 9/1/2013 8:28 PM, Manu wrote:
> D probably appeals more to ex-C++ users (I'm not aware of any sensis, but D's
> main offering at least to me, is an evolution from C++). We are used to being
> able to gather a quick summary of a class at a glance.
> D (or perhaps just me) makes extensive use of local functions. If the outer
> function is at the leftmost tab level, it's easy to recognise if you're reading
> the code from a local function or not. If the outer function is already a few
> tab levels deep, I frequently find myself becoming unsure of what/where I'm
> actually reading.

I don't know if this is an IDE feature or not, but I've often thought of adding
a command to my editor (MicroEmacs) to collapse/expand function bodies. This
would make it convenient to navigate larger files - just collapse, move to the
function you want to examine, then expand. It would also mitigate the issue you
have. I theorize that VS doesn't have such a feature? Maybe IDEs are solving the
wrong problem? :-)

One that collapses out the comments would be great, too, as I've found one
downside of Ddoc is it can get hard to find the code amongst the doc comments.