Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Mon Sep 2 12:20:50 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 17:54:01 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 17:39:45 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>
> There is crucial difference between having a company providing
> commercial services for D users (good) and having anything
> closed/commercial in reference implementation (bad). Former is
> simply matching the demand from certain market segment. Latter
> is screwing the life for everyone else. There is hardly
> anything common here.

Wait, I do not advocate building a closed source or non free
reference implementation of the compiler or of the standard
library.
Those need to stay open source of course.

But there are plenty of pro quality tools that are sorely missing
right now:
- an IDE that works with any of the 3 existing compilers
- an integrated debugger
- a graphical memory usage viewer/analyzer
- a visual profiler
- an integrated package manager
- maybe a GUI library

Etc. The existence of such tools would be a very big incentive
for companies to try D seriously.