End user experience with D

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 12:36:51 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 18:30:45 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 14:22:15 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> On 2013-09-02 14:00, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
>>
>>> Me and my colleague are working full time for a project with
>>> DMD 2.063:
>>> I'm on OSX, so it's a different story, but he is on linux
>>> (Ubuntu 13.04
>>> 64bit).
>>
>> The debugging experience is even worse on Mac OS X.
>
> I can confirm! I use http://cgdb.github.io/ on Mac OS. The
> pain, the pain.... :/

Actually I use lldb: at least it has some pretty tabbed
autocomplete on files and function number.
If you know the module, you can start with something like
'D4test' and tab to have the symbols.

It works also over file:number so at least you can set some break
and check the calling frames (sometime is useful, and I don't
think this is possible with the usual flooding of 'writeln', or
no?).

What actually really doesn't work at all is printing locals:

   (gdb) info local
   No symbol table info available.

*sigh*

- Paolo