End user experience with D

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 12:42:34 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 13:44:40 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 12:00:43 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>> ability to set a break (usually that's work, at least in OSX),
>> AND being able to inspect locals.
>
> Here's what happens with me:
>
> dmd test30.d -debug -gc
> gdb test30
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.1
> [...]
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-slackware-linux".
> [...]
> (gdb) break test30.d:13
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x8070846: file test30.d, line 13.
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /home/me/test30
>
> Breakpoint 1, _Dmain () at test30.d:13
> 13              assert(0, s);
> (gdb) print s
> $1 = {length = 7, ptr = 0xf7cf7fe0 "test 10\b"}
> (gdb) c
> Continuing.
> core.exception.AssertError at test30.d(13): test 10
> [...]
> Program exited with code 01.

<snip>

> Another thing I do is compile every D file at once. dmd -gc
> -debug a.d everything.d here.d so.d on.d etc.d
>

> Maybe that helps me too.

Thank you Adam, we will try this for sure!

>> I think we are not alone searching for such informations, so
>> can you point me somewhere in the wiki, in the documentation,
>> or similar, when there's a clear information about what
>> version of gdb to use, what it is available as functionality
>> and what not, and what compiler flags to use?
>
> I don't really know except what works for me.
>
> But Iain in another thread said gdb 4.6 or 4.7 works best
> though.

This week we are pretty busy, but the next one I'll try to insert
some informations in the wiki (if it is possible!), so that at
least we can have some central point to share the _actual_ status
of the debuggers functionalities versus the current versions of
DMD at least...

- Paolo