Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Mon Sep 2 14:14:54 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 21:04:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 1:36 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> It's things like this "keyhole interface", that caused me to be
>> convinced that the GUI emperor has no clothes, and to turn to
>> CLI-only
>> development.
>
> One of the giant failures of the GUI interface, and that VS
> suffers from, too, is when you need to do repetitive operations.
>
> On the CLI, I constantly use the history list, and I constantly
> write throwaway scripts to automate what I'm doing at the
> moment. It makes everything I do, no matter how obscure, only 2
> or 3 keypresses.
>
> With VS, or any GUI, if there's not a button to do it, I'm
> reduced to:
>
> move mouse
> click
> move mouse
> click
> move mouse
> type
> move mouse
> click
> type
>
> to get something done. And if I want to do it again, I have to
> repeat that process. After the 10th time, it's gaaaaahhh I hate
> it and go back to the CLI.
>
> I scan a lot of photos. I have a GUI photo editor. A common
> thing I do is straighten the photos, because they never go
> through the scanner straight. So it's:
>
> right shift click on the picture
> select open with
> select photoeditor
> select edit
> select rotate
> select autorotate
> select apply
> select save
> select exit
>
> Sounds easy, right? It is easy. Now do it to 1000 photos. With
> a command line tool:
>
> write a script that does it to one picture, name it cc.bat
>
> do:
>    dir/b *.jpg >doit.bat
>
> open the file and use the macro feature to prepend "cc " to
> each file name, maybe 10 keystrokes
>
> execute the script
>
> Done! And CLI Clint goes and surfs the n.g. while GUI Gus has
> just gotten to picture 4, only 996 more to go!

I'm not that big fan of "full" Guis either and try to stick to
slick ones.

But for fairness sake: Better Gui Programms (read: way too few)
have Macro facilities.

(My major reason to go GUI for programming is the auto*
/configure/m4/makefile mess. Having that handled by some build in
magic is cool. Which, if I'm not mistaken is less of an issue
with D (dub, etc?))

A+ -R