Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 18:13:19 PDT 2013

On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 20:28:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 11:22 AM, Brad Anderson wrote:
>> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 05:41:50 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>> Would you believe that you can't watch Game of Thrones in
>>> Australia unless
>>> you pay at least $80/month for a foxtel (cable tv)
>>> subscription? And they
>>> wonder why all the statistics appear to show that Australians
>>> are the worst
>>> media pirates on earth...
>>
>> It's the same in the US.
>
> I'd be more upset if I couldn't watch Breaking Bad!

In France you can't watch every season (via the expiration
process you describe), you can't watch the last season because of
media chronology (producer in France think that they should
publish on plateform one by one to increase revenue, but that
seems to only increase piracy. To make it short, you won't access
the show before it's been on TV for a while). You ends up being
able to watch one or two season in the middle and nothing else.

And don't even bother to search for the original version, not the
one with ridiculous french voice (well usually, I have to say I
prefers the french version of the Simpsons, but that because the
translators are so good and that is really the exception).

In the meantime, people are ripping the show from TV in the US,
translate the stuff and produce a pirate copy with translated
subtitle in less than 2 days. And everybody wonder why people do
download illegally.

Quite frankly I'd be willing to pay for services, but I've been
burned one (seeing a lot of my stuff simply disappear because I
changed country, that is freaking unacceptable for a service I'm
paying for). The linux support was also terribly bad, but I had
to be happy because that one one of the only services supporting
it at all.

Unless the industry is showing signs of understanding, I'm done
with theses stuffs. When amateurs can do better for free, you are
not providing any service, you are just scamming your customers.