Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 18:18:03 PDT 2013

On 3 September 2013 02:19, John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Monday, 2 September 2013 at 03:14:38 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> On 2 September 2013 04:00, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Manu:
>>>

>>>  Seriously, how do you quickly read and understand the API through the

>>> The noise increases if you have to repeat the class name for each method
>>> :-)
>>>

>> Except that you can _read the class definition_.
>>
>> Look, I'm just giving an account of the collective experience from our
>> weekend. None of us could find anything easily in each others classes, or
>> quickly get a reasonable overview of it's design and how it worked.
>> This leads to needless conversations, asking the other person about it,
>> and
>> all those questions that I should be able to understand at a glance.
>> This WILL affect productivity in the office.
>>
>> The reason was that functions were polluting the class declaration. 9
>> times
>> out of 10, when I look at a class declaration, I want to know what it is,
>> what it has, and what it can do.
>>

> Code folding? It's a pretty standard feature of most editors since forever.

I think I've repeated myself 3 or 4 times here, but one more time for good
measure...

Requiring IDE assistance to make code _readable_ seems completely fail to
me.
1) You're not always reading code in your IDE, often in commit logs, diff
windows, emails, chat clients.
2) With so much hate for IDE support, it seems like a massive contradiction
to say that an IDE should be required to make code readable.

Reading code is the most fundamental task in programming. Anything that
gets in the way of code readability is an epic fail.